Friday, February 28, 2014

100th post.



I have been away from blogging for bit now. I knew I had my 100th post coming up and I was thinking on things to write for it. While I find it amazing I have put up a hundred of these so far, I have had some things going on in my life that took up my attention. 

My sister is in school to become a Dental Hygienist. She has had members of our family and friends come in as patients throughout her time there. Over Christmas she asked if I would mind coming in, I agreed and we set a date. 

Time went on and I went for the exam to see what she might be able to do for me. While in the chair she had to inspect my mouth, which is kind of awkward having your sister putting her fingers in your mouth. I was worried she might take the moment to enact some revenge from earlier childhood shenanigans. Everything went smooth until she found something on my tongue. 

As she is in training an instructor is required to come behind her to check her work and in doing so she inspected the spot. There was a moment of, "Hmm." And a, "Yeah." She then asked me if I had an oral surgeon. I replied no, as I have not been to a dentist since I was a child. I was given a referral and left with a hug from my sister and the look of worry clearly stamped on her face. 

Now I have to say that I am generally healthy. I have a few extra pounds hanging on and have issues with my sugar, but I workout and have never had surgery or been hospitalized for anything so far in my life. This thought of something being seriously wrong sort of took over. Fear was a clear and present thing. I set up my appointment and had to wait a week before I could be seen. 

The first session was to see if I still had the spot and what she thought it might be. After some inspection she saw some things that worried her and gave me my options. Now the do nothing option, while seeming less painful, was not something I could do. I had to know. So, the biopsy was set up and I had to go home to stew in my thoughts for a few more days.  

In these moments of the unknown I think it is natural for people to start looking at their lives. With a wife, two children and another on the way, I have a lot ahead of me. I want to be here for graduations and weddings and grandchildren. I began thinking about legacy and what I would be leaving if I left sooner than later. Trust me it was some heavy thoughts and while making for good fodder for further writing, in the moment I just felt down. 

Still, I have amazing people around me and positive thinking was always pushed upon when I needed it. I am happy to say that I got a call and the results did not include the word cancer. I have a few stitches and am craving anything solid to eat, but small prices to pay for some peace of mind.

I hope to be around for quite a while, talking with you amazing people, growing as an author and getting to see my family grow and expand and enrich. I know it is cliche to realize how important life is after something scary happens, but some of the best things are cliche. 

Anyway, hope all of you are well. Thanks for reading my post and being here for the 100th. Can't wait for the 1000th. As always, have fun and keep writing. 

24 comments:

  1. Happy 100th post! Sounds like you have had a scary time, so glad it isn't anything too serious. Happy writing to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful timing that your 100th post could be about something that turned out joyful.

    So glad you're on the mend, with a positive result, and ready to keep moving on with a great life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy as well with the outcome. It was a cool thing to coincide.

      Delete
  3. Big sigh of relief! I'm so glad everything turned out okay, Brandon. Your family will have you for years to come, your kids will be mad at you for spoiling your grandkids, and you will have lots of great books out there. What a great post for the hundredth: one with good reflections on what you have and a hunger for life. Happy writing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was eye opening for sure. I do hope you are right or far-seeing CP. lol

      Delete
  4. Happy 100th post. Mine was a Thanksgiving-themed flash fic for a "contest." I won out of the three entries. I almost can't believe I've posted 332 times since May 15th, 2012 (although few dozen of those are extremely short).

    Good luck with your healing. I shall be awaiting your next 900 posts. Oh, and congratulations on the third child on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is cool you have had so many post. I can't wait to write those 900. And thank you.

      Delete
  5. Happy 100! Thank God you're okay. The Hurricane was ill when she started college. Our family doctor told me to take her to an oncologist, who said he would run tests but the only possible answer to what was wrong was that she had cancer. She had the tests, and it was NOT cancer. I wanted to smack that oncologist. A couple of other doctors told me he should never have said such a thing. Waiting for the test results was agony, so I have some understanding of what you experienced. I recommend investing in whole life insurance. Both of you should probably have policies, even if they aren't big. A little extra help in an emergency would be better than nothing.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is terrible. I know maybe they feel they should prepare us for the worst, but a little hope goes a long way. I will look into that. We do both have life insurance, but I assume this is something different.

      Delete
    2. Term life insurance is exactly what the name suggests: It's for a term -- a period of time, and then it ends. Whole life is more like a savings account. If you don't need the death benefits, then when you're retired you can take out the money and use it for whatever you need. It's for your whole life. Sometimes you can borrow from your whole life account, too.

      Delete
  6. Thank God it wasn't the big C. Yes, you have a lot to live for, and your family needs you.
    And get yourself to the dentist more often,
    Congratulations on a hundred posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, many prayers went up and the results were good. I know I am terrible about it. Thanks for always coming by. :)

      Delete
  7. Jeez, that's scary. So glad to hear it wasn't too serious. Congrats on hitting 100!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always and forever, from your first little sentence you brought home from school, to be proudly displayed on the refrigerator; to this 100th post; to the eulogy you one day will write for me, I am so proud of the person you are. If I did not know you as son, I would still want to know you as friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom. Lets have that eulogy in the far far far far distant future okay. :) Love you.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your 100th post, and the good outcome of a potentially bad situation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not knowing is the worst. Our brains travel down terrible roads.

    I am so glad that your biopsy came back clean and that all is well... albeit uncomfortable for a few days. Fortunately, the mouth is the quickest healing part of our bodies!

    Congrats on 100!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is healing nicely. The not knowing is truly the worst, we like to torture ourselves as humans, lol.

      Delete
  11. Aw, Brandon! I just went through something similar (if you read my IWSG post you'll see all the details) I know how you feel. Getting the all clear from the "C" word, is quite a relief. I wish you many more years of health, happiness with your family and lots and lots of writing time!! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Brandon! I'm glad it wasn't anything cancerous. The worst is the waiting, I think. I love the look of your blog and I see that your doing the A to Z Challenge this year! I am as well, and I did it last year. I enjoyed it and the people so much that I signed up to assist one of the amazing co-hosts this year, DamyantiG! I look forward to reading your A to Z posts and I hope you will consider a theme for them. We are hosting the Theme Reveal this March 21 and it would be great if you could pop in on our #AZChat on Twitter on Thursday March 21, 2014. Here's to seeing you around the A-to-Z Challenge! Mary aka Viola Fury at homelesschroniclesintampa.blogspot.com #atozchallenge #atozreveal

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you got a clean bill! That would be terrifying. Congratulations on your 100th post, and new child! Best to you and all the futures you hold. :)

    Alex Hurst, fantasy author in Japan, participating in Blogging A-Z April Challenge.

    ReplyDelete