Saturday, August 11, 2012

The Writing Spirit.


It was three years ago that I finished my first novel. I have not been idle in that time. I have gathered some beta readers, done countless revisions and in the last year started the journey of learning to write queries and sending them off.

This idea to be a published writer comes with a lot of things attached to it. One of the biggest is rejection. I like the phrase, "Getting published is not a sprint it's a marathon." Each time I get a critique I try to use it and grow from it. That isn't to say it is never discouraging, but I am finding the more I write, the more I know I am supposed to be a writer.

With this knowledge I am learning to face things in a better light. I am growing thicker skin every day and also learning how to take some advice and leave others. This is a process and anyone going through it with me I just want to say stay strong, because people do give up and for every manuscript thrown in the fire one more makes it to the next level.

Here are my I will persevere songs this month.





14 comments:

  1. This is excellent, excellent advice. I especially love how you say, "...the more I write, the more I know I am supposed to be a writer." So true. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it gets hard sometimes, but like R. A. Salvatore said, "If you can quit, quit, if you can't you're a writer."

      Delete
  2. Now that's the spirit! Before Brandon Sanderson became famous, we spoke about this very thing. His advice? Never give up. That's been my motto ever since.

    Thanks for joining my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome he is one of my favorite authors, I have learned so much just from watching his classes and interviews. Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  3. I've tagged you in a round of blog tag :) Post will be up on Thursday! Your blog is great :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great, and exactly how you know you're on the right track. I know the exact feeling; it can be so difficult to get rejected or a bout of hard critique, but we need it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, forged through fire. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  5. Good luck, Brandon! I love those words: The Writing Spirit. It sounds like you're a warrior. That's how I want to be, too, and I'll keep fighting and persevering. It's no small feat to finish a novel. Many aspiring authors don't even get that far. Then putting it out there in the world for criticism and rejection is a brave act, indeed. Stay strong and thanks for the inspiration today.

    By the way, I tagged you for The Lucky Seven Challenge on my blog today: purdiewriting.blogspot.com :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely a marathon! Like you, the more I write, the more I know I couldn't give it up. Rejection stinks, but it sure helps me improve. Hope you get some great feedback at writeoncon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ty, yeah it has been great. I a, really enjoying the critiques as they are showing me a lot.

      Delete
  7. Learning to listen to advice and then making a decision about whether or not to take it is an important step.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well said, Brandon. Writing's a sometimes long and tedious trip. We have to remember why we're subjecting ourselves to the sometimes dark aspects - because we're called to it. Rock on, Dude.
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three years and it sounds like you're still going strong. With your positive attitude, you're bound to get that acceptance letter someday. :)

    ReplyDelete