Friday, October 11, 2013

The Vanished Knight.



1. Before writing what do you spend the most time on, world building, character development or plot?

*Grins* Actually, before writing a given book, I'm probably writing something else entirely. I get ideas, let them sit and ripen while I read or work on something else. 
When an idea grows into a monster taking up all my thoughts, I open my notebook, grab my fountain pen, and get drafting. 
The Vanished Knight is the first book I finished, so I got the idea while deluded with the idea that I could plan it out. I couldn't. In the end, world building, characterization and some of the plot happened while I was rough drafting. 
I refined everything when I rewrote the whole thing for computer.
One thing I do prepare ahead of time is a playlist. Using the feelings and bits of characterization I have, I put together a playlist that reflects the sense I'm going for in the story.  

2. Music is a must for me as well and I know all about the ideas building while writing. What are some things you like to keep around you when you are writing that help you stay in the seat?

When I'm drafting, I need three things: The notebook devoted to the story. The fountain pen (which I'm now starting to think I should name). And the playlist. The moment I have the music on, the book open and the pen poised, I'm locked in and ready to go. 
So much so that I usually set an alarm before I start, if I know I have to go do something else. 

3.I agree it needs a name, maybe Excalibur.  If you were a character in your story who would you be?

Probably Gawain. I know, weird that I'm picking a guy. But he's the one I'm least mean to. And even saying that, I know there's stuff about him that's seriously messed up. 
Unlike Callan, though, he doesn't have an evil entity destroying his life. And unlike Darrion, he doesn't need to fight for every scrap of achievement he can get. I'm not even going to mention James and Ward's issues. 

4.Lol, well in misery we find our story.  What are some things you can tell us about your book?

Mmm.... Okay... Guys, lots of badassery. Girls... Darrion and Gawain.
Read the book to see what I mean. :-P

5. I will definitely do so. Sometimes when I write I have types of scenes that come easier to me than others. What are your favorite types of scenes to write?

Funny enough, it's the scenes where Darrion and Callan argue. Actually where Darrion argues with anyone. He has this f-you attitude towards most people around him, so it's fun to a) go at someone with no holds barred or b) to see him struggling to hold back when he knows he should but really doesn't want to. 
James has something similar, and by the rewrite, his voice was loud and clear, which made him easy to write. But something about Darrion's particular brand of verbal skill and dry, sharp wit makes him a landslide winner in the best argument stakes. 

6.I agree with you there something about getting to let go on someone is fun to write.  What first made you want to be an author?

Writing The Vanished Knight did. Before, it was just about getting stories down that I liked. But with TVK, I knew I had something special, so I knew I wanted to publish. 

7. That is great the story pushed you. What does the future hold for you?

Hopefully the rest of the series published, twenty plus other projects completed. And who knows? War of Six Crowns, the TV Series knocking Game of Thrones from its perch. Who says a girl can't dream. ;-)


Nothing wrong with that at all. Thanks for answering my questions it was a lot of fun learning about you and your story.


Here is a blurb of the book:

Since the death of her parents, Callan Blair has been shunted from one foster family to another, her dangerous secret forcing the move each time. Her latest foster family quickly ships her off to an exclusive boarding school in the Cumbrian countryside. While her foster-brother James makes it his mission to get Callan expelled, a nearby ancient castle holds the secret doorway to another land...

When Callan is forced through the doorway, she finds herself in the magical continent of Tardith, where she’s shocked to learn her schoolmates Gawain and Darrion are respected soldiers in service to the king of Nordaine, one of Tardith's realms. More than that, the two are potential heirs to the Black Knight—Nordaine's crown prince.

But when the Black Knight fails to return from a mysterious trip, the realm teeters on the brink of war. Darrion and Gawain set out to find him, while Callan discovers there is more to her family history than she thought. The elves are claiming she is their princess.

Now with Darrion growing ever more antagonistic and her friendship with Gawain blossoming, Callan must decide whether to stay in Nordaine—where her secret grows ever more threatening—or go to the elves and uncover the truth about her family before war sets the realms afire.


Author Bio:


M. Gerrick (AKA Misha Gericke) has basically created stories since before she could write. Many of those stories grew up with her and can be seen in her current projects.
She lives close to Cape Town, with a view over False Bay and Table Mountain.
If you’d like to contact her, feel free to mail her at warofsixcrowns(AT)gmail(DOT)com, Circle her on Google Plus or follow her on Twitter. If you'd like to see her writer-side (beware, it's pretty insane), please feel free to check out her blog. You can also add her or The Vanished Knight on Goodreads

Here are some places you can find the book, go support it.

6 comments:

  1. I like a character with a whole lot of attitude! They are easy to frustrate.
    Congratulations, Misha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Alex I'm the same. There's something delicious about seeing Darrion at the end of his patience. ^_^

    Thanks again for hosting me, Brandon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to try the music playlist. I am reading about more and more authors who find it to be inspiring. Hmmmm.

    I love those scenes that practically write themselves. I wonder what it is about human nature that enjoys a good argument? ::food for thought::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely find that playlists put me into the writing mood. In fact, some songs put me in the mood no matter where they're played, or who's playing them. :-)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful interview! I love it when a character's voice is powerful in a story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tyrean! I love writing stories when the character's voice is strong. :-)

      Delete