Wednesday, June 1, 2016

IWSG


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds! To join click HERE!



This month I am putting away my usual and consistent to the point of boredom, insecurities. 

This month I have a different sort. What seems like ages ago I talk about a children's book I did illustrations for. Because of issues in the author's life the book had been slow going. 

Well, I just got word that he has finally got everything ready and is looking for an editor to send it to. This is great news. I had so much fun drawing the characters and scenes. 

My insecurity is in the fact that after drawing them I had no control over them. The author is someone I trust and well, he paid me for the art so it is his now. Still, as an artist this is the first time I am not in control of what is done with it, how it is formatted and how it will be presented.

In some ways it is nice to let go and have someone else deal with it. In others it is a bit scary. 

I wonder if this is what traditional publishing feels like?

Anyway, how is everyone doing? I hope you are all well, as always, have fun and keep writing.  

16 comments:

  1. That's probably a little bit what it feels like. You'll have to keep us posted on the progress of the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, as soon as he lets me know something I will be posting about it.

      Delete
  2. That's so exciting!!!! Either way, it's your illustrations and as long as they complement the story, you're golden ;) Can't wait to read it to the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you found an opportunity get some exposure for your work. I've heard more than one author say they didn't like the movie or TV show that was made from their book. But I'd still say it's pretty cool to have something like that made from their work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I mean it is very cool to think of it being out there.

      Delete
  4. From what I've heard, sometimes it does feel the same way. I hope the illustrations end up somewhere you like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the children's book illustrations. I'll pray that all goes well.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope it all goes well for him.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like something I'd like to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I can do some preview stuff soon.

      Delete
  7. lol, yeah, like having children and sending them out into the world to make their own decisions. After you have several of your images out there in someone else's book I'm sure you'll get used to the feeling; maybe even be too busy with the next creation to worry over the completed project. And you got paid! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I think it just being the first time is what made it hard.

      Delete
  8. This is definitely what traditional publishing feels like. How exciting that your work has gone off into the world to make its own way, though! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete