Monday, August 26, 2013

I can breathe.



No one had more doubt than I did four months ago. As many of you know, I decided to get Ashes out by August 20th. I wrote Elemental off and on for over a year and edited it off and on for three. I have always been the kind of writer that works on several projects at once. Dedicating myself to only one thing was, to say the least, hard.

As certain things in life happened and my internal(are you sure infernal shouldn't go here?) editor made me erase three whole chapters, I found myself behind when July hit. I will say I tested myself those last weeks. Still, with lots of encouragement and a small amount of stubbornness, it did get finished. 

I ended up with something I am supremely happy with. 

It really makes me excited to keep writing and putting books out for people. Also seeing where I can go in the future, fills me with hope. After the release and a bunch of marketing for the giveaway I may have slept for a full twenty-four hours. I came out of that sleep ready to work. 

I have started on the third book in this series with a surprising amount of energy and excitement. I cannot wait to cap this story off for readers and finally have what has been living in my head all of this time out in the world. I have been told by my family I can't set a release date for it yet, lol. Still, I want to say thank you all for being on this journey with me and teaching me and encouraging me. Blogging has truly made me a better writer.

There is a blogger who was nice enough to post about Ashes today. If you would go to his blog and say hi, that would be awesome. While there check out the ongoing story of his book, Woven. (David Powers King)

Also 5 more days on giveaway. Get those entries in.

Anyway, time to go write. Hope all is well your way. As always, have fun and keep writing.

9 comments:

  1. Glad your second one launched so well! Yes, it must be a trilogy. (Darn those!)
    And the blogging world has made me a better person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes better writer and person, I agree.

      Yep those dang trilogies, always wanting attention, lol.

      Delete
  2. Glad you made your self-imposed deadline. My writing partner and I are preparing an updated version of a comic book we put out in the 1980s (he's the artist), and we wonder if self-publishing on Kindle's the right way to go. How've they treated you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah in some ways it really helped.

      As far as amazon. I have enjoyed it, it has an ease to it I like.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I'm thankful for my blogging buddies every day. I too have become a better writer through blogging. Glad your release went well and that you got some sleep before getting started on Book 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, and since you are one of those bloggers that have been there from the start, it has been a great ride thus far.

      Delete
  4. Deadlines are good sometimes. Makes you buckle down and get to it.

    Three chapters??? Aaagghhh. That must have been hard.

    I read in an interesting thing in a Joss Whedon interview. He said that writers are often too close to their work. One thing he will do when he is stuck on a project is edit out the thing he LIKES MOST in the story and see what happens. My heart sank when I read that, but then I thought "If he is giving this as advice, he is probably right." He said that sometimes it makes all the difference and it stays out. Other times, he writes and does find a way to work it back into the story in a different place or a slightly different way. The thing was that by making that big change it forced him to look at the story completely differently. I don't know if that advice is relevant for you at all, but maybe someday...

    Happy writing on Book Three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadlines can really light a fire under you.

      Hey if a genius like Whedon gives advice folks should listen. That is actually a really cool and yes terrifying method. Although it does make sense, sometimes I can get hung up on a cool scene and yet it is the story as a whole that matters most.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I have a tendency to work on multiple projects at the same time, too. I'll go check out the post about Ashes.

    ReplyDelete